Rava Kesari is a popular South Indian sweet that is made using Semolina/Rava. An easy,delicious sweet recipe to make for occasions,and to please your guest . I am using turmeric powder for yellow color rather than using artificial colors. Rava has to be cooked well else kesari will turn hard and chewy.
Preparation time: 20 mins | Serves: 7-8
1 Rava – 1 cup
2. Sugar – 1 cup
3. Milk – 1/2 cup
4. Ghee – 3 tbspn
5. Water – 1/2 cup
6. Cardamom powder – 1 tsp
7. Turmeric powder – a pinch
8. Cashew nuts and raisins – 1 tbspn
* Heat ghee and roast cashews, raisins till it turns to golden brown, keep aside.
* In the same pan, roast the rava in ghee in low flame until nice aroma comes and when it starts to change color.Add turmeric powder to it.MIx it well.
* Same time boil milk and water in another pan.Add that boiled milk into roasted rava.This is the stage where you have to be very careful take care not to form lumps.So stir it continously. Cover it for sometime until the rava get cooked.
* Once the rava is cooked add the sugar, now it will start to loosen up.keep stirring continuously. Until it is thick, add ghee and give a quick mix.Add cardamom powder and fried cashews nd raisins.Switch it off.
Optional :Grease a plate with ghee and spread the kesari in it and after cooling down,cut it in whatever shape you want.