A very simple dish that you can make for evening snack or breakfast. This recipe is a great way to use up leftover bread.
Preparation time:10 min | Serves: 2
1. Bread – 10 slices
2. Oil – 2 tablespoons
3. Mustard seeds – 1/4 teaspoon
4. Onion chopped -1/2 cup
5. Ginger chopped – 1/2 teaspoon
6. Green chilli – 2
7. Carrot chopped – 1/2 cup
8. Turmeric powder – 1/2 teaspoon
9. Red chilli powder – 1/2 teaspoon
10.tomato chopped – 1
1. Cut the bread into cubes.
2. Heat oil in a pan. Add the mustard seeds. When they pop, add the onion, ginger and green chilli. Sauté on medium heat till the onion is translucent.
3. Then add the turmeric and red chilli powders. Stir for a few seconds.
4. Add bread cubes, tomato and salt.
5. Stir gently till everything is evenly combined and the bread has absorbed all the spices and turned yellow, about 4 minute.If you find the upma is too dry (older breads will be drier), just sprinkle some water and toss to soften it.
Now you can serve the easy breakfast/snack. 🙂