Pumpkin erissery or mathanga erissery is one of the essential dishes that is served during onam sadya. Erissery is made with pumpkin also known as Mathanga in Malayam, Red Beans (Vanpayar) along with coconut and few other ingredients with final touch of coconut, curry leaves and dry chilly tempering.
Preparation time: 30 min | Serves 4
Pumpkin – 500 gm
Red bean – 1/2 cup
Shallot/small onion – 8
Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
Chilly powder – 1/2 tsp
Green chilly – 3
Coconut grated – 1 cup
Cumin seed – 1/2 tsp
Salt – as required
- Rinse the red bean well in water.
- Pressure cook them with 2 or 2.5 cups of water till they are cooked completely.
- Drain and keep aside.
- Peel pumpkin and chop into cubes.
- Take the pumpkin cubes and 1 cup water in a pan.
- Add pepper powder, turmeric powder, red chilly powder , chopped green chilly and salt.
- Cover the pan and cook the pumpkin for 12-15 minutes or more on a low flame till they are cooked.
- Check the pumpkin a few times when they are cooking, to see if the water has not dried up. if the water dries up, then add some more water and continue to cook.
- When the pumpkin is cooking, take the grated coconut , shallot(small onion) and cumin seed in a grinder jar.
- Add ½ cup of water and grind it.
- Add this coconut paste to the pumpkins.
- Add the cooked red bean.
- Add ½ cup water or more if the consistency looks thick.
- Stir well and place the pan on fire and simmer for 10-12 minutes or more till the flavors are well blended.
- When the curry become thick then cover with a lid and keep aside.
- Take a small pan, heat coconut oil.
- Crackle the mustard seeds first then add chopped shallot(small onion).
- Then add the curry leaves and the red chilies.
- Fry till the curry leaves start to become crisp and the color of the red chilies change.
- Add the coconut and saute till the coconut becomes golden.
- Pour this whole tempering mixture into the pumpkin erissery.
- Stir and serve .. 🙂